It’s that time of the year again!
It is May, so it can only mean one thing - the exam season is just around the corner! And with the dreaded assessments looming, many a student will be pre-occupied over the coming weeks with revision and practising old past papers.
As a result, stress and anxiety levels are bound to be on a high and so while you or your loved ones are getting ready to hit the books, we asked some homeopaths what remedies they suggest to calm the nerves and make sure the exam season goes as smoothly as possible.
Please note the following homeopathic remedies are only a guideline that you may find helpful. As you will see, each remedy is known by their Latin name and for ease, we have detailed key symptoms that you may be experiencing and for which the remedy may help to alleviate.
Aconite. Fear (rabbit in headlights!), panic, restlessness, very thirsty
Anacardum Orientale. Brain fag and exhaustion from studying
Arg Nit. Craves sweets, diarrhoea, thinks he/she will fail
Cocculus. Dizzy from too much studying in to the small hours, Nausea
Gelsenium. Shakes like a jelly, butterflies in the stomach, feeling of a
band around the head, feels better for urinating
Kali Phos. Worn out from too much studying, nervous, feels better
Lycopodium. Lacking in self esteem, feels dyslexic, irritable, domineer-
Phos Ac. Mental exhaustion through studying, homesick, indifferent
In addition, you may also find Rescue Remedy to be a useful source when trying to achieve a sense of calm and focus in any stressful situations from exams to interview nerves. Rescue Remedy is available in most health shops and some high street pharmacies.
Other helpful tips to combat exam anxiety include:
- Staying focused on the task in-hand; prepare clear revision plans and stick to them
- Remain positive throughout the exam season; an optimistic attitude will go a long way
- Keep things in perspective and don’t bottle your feelings up
- Refrain from drinking too much caffeine, carbonated soft drinks or processed food with a high sugar content or preservatives. Instead indulge in fresh fruit and vegetables that is said to help reduce stress
- Continue to exercise during the revision period, preferably in the fresh air. Also make sure you maintain a regular and suitable sleeping pattern
This article was originally published in 'Homeopathy Healthy Medicine' in April 2010. This is a free newsletter published by ARH, and available at http://www.a-r-h.org/publications.htm.